Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's Day has always been the one day of the year when Mom gets to choose what we are going to do and we go along without complaining. Historically that has meant going to a beautiful place like the beach or a park and letting Mom take pictures of us. I certainly never thought I'd be spending Mother's Day in the hospital, but that is just what we did this morning. We all went together as a family with Mom for her chemo treatment, which went smoothly. We were out of the hospital by 12:30, a mere 2 and a 1/2 hours after we arrived. Then Mom wanted to go out for lunch. Since she can't be in a public place she opted for the carhop at White Spot. A first time experience for most of us and a memorable one. We were there in our two-door car with us three girls in the back seat. Our tray came in side-ways through the front passenger window barely making it past the headrest. Then there was a slight issue with elbow-room, but we made it through the meal with all of our body-parts in place and no bruises!

I have the best Mom in the world! It is important that she felt loved and celebrated today. She is caring, courageous and strong. She has incredible artistic ability coupled with a deep faith and a passion to use her gifting to honor God. She has a huge heart that can not stop caring regardless of what is happening around her. But I think you all know that about my Mom; I think Mom's heart has a lot to do with why you're here reading this blog, caring for us and praying for us. I know Mom has touched so many people.

Mom's love has been the rock in my own life. Despite all the chaos that was going on at home as we were growing up and the turmoil in my own heart, I have always known that my Mom loves me. She expresses her love in very tangible ways, like lots of wonderful hugs and kisses. Her prayers also have carried me through. Whenever I would go to Mom with a problem she would always turn to her bible. If I was scared, it was Psalm 91:1-5 and I learned that God could carry me. When I was questioning life, Mom would turn to what is most likely her favorite book, Isaiah, and share some of God's promises with me. Promises that God had given her as she was praying for me and my sisters which she had claimed and then continued to pray over us. There is a legacy of faith that Mom is passing on to us and I am forever grateful for that.

If Mom has touched your life in some way that you would like to share, feel free to leave a comment here, or to send her an email or message via facebook.
The bible has some things to say about doing good works in secret, not letting your right hand know what your left hand is doing. I don't mean for this to be an opportunity to glorify Mom, I think she would want the glory and honor to go to God, rather an opportunity to speak blessing and encouragement into Mom's life by affirming how she has used her gifts to bless you.

Thank you once again for walking with us.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment